Historical notes about the Manor of La Leghe or Lye Manor, Huntingdonshire, England, UK
A manor in Colne later known as LA LEGHE or LYE was held by the Argenteins of the Bishop of Ely. In 1279 Sir Giles de Argentein held a carucate of land in Colne of the bishop by knight service. A mesne lordship seems to have been continued by the Argenteins of Pidley, but the manor was held in fee of the Argenteins by the Wacheshams of Wattisham and Stanstead in Suffolk, by a rent of 4s. a year.
The Armorial Bearings of the Argentein family.
Gules three covered cups argent.
In 1232 Giles de Wachesham (Wathisham) and Margery his wife conveyed a carucate of land in Colne to Ralf de Berford and Isabel his wife as dower of Isabel, and in 1235 Giles de Wachesham did homage for the lands of his mother Isabel. He died in 1268, and was succeeded by his son Giles. The son Giles died in 1273, leaving a son and heir Gerard under age. A settlement was made on Gerard and Joan his wife. Gerard died after 1316, leaving a son and heir Giles who died about 1338, leaving Robert his son and heir. Robert had by his wife Joan two daughters: Elizabeth, who married first - Berry, by whom she had a son Edmund, and Anne, who apparently married John Hotoft. Sir Robert de Wachesham was member of parliament for Suffolk in 1353. He was killed in 1361 by Laurence atte Noke in self-defence. Sir Robert de Wachesham was engaged in large financial dealings and pledged his lands on various occasions. William de Herleston, clerk, keeper of the King's writs, one of the King's clerks who made a practice of lending money, was acquiring lands in Colne at this time. In 1342 Richard de Rikedown and Joan his wife conveyed to him 200 acres of land and 8 acres of meadow in Somersham, Colne and Bluntisham. In the following year Henry de Broughton, chaplain, granted to him by a fine the same amount of land under the same description which is endorsed with a claim by Robert son of Giles de Wachesham. Again in 1347 Henry de Broughton, clerk, and William de Holm conveyed to him and Margaret de Holm the manor of Colne, which is called La Leghe.
The Armorial Bearings of the Wachesham family.
Argent a fesse with three crescents gules in the chief.
In 1346 Robert son of Giles de Wachesham brought an action against William de Herleston for the recovery of the manor of Colne. He pleaded the settlement of the manor on Gerard de Wachesham and Joan his wife and the descent of the manor is given as above. He lost his case, and William de Herleston probably disposed of the manor. We find it in the early part of the 15th century in the hands of John Wauton and Peronell his wife. They had a daughter Margaret who married firstly Richard Gambon, by whom she had a son Richard who died without issue, and secondly John Denston, by whom she had a son John. An action was brought by John Denston against John Burgon or Burgoyn and Robert Ford, feoffees under the will of John Wauton, for possession of the manor. We do not know the result. Anne, daughter and heir of John Denston the son, married John Broughton and died in 1481. She left a son John, a minor, who was succeeded by Robert Broughton apparently his brother. Robert settled the manor on his marriage with Dorothy Wentworth and died in 1506. John son of Robert Broughton, who died in 1518, proposed to marry his son John to Dorothy daughter of Thomas Duke of Norfolk, but John died an infant without issue and Colne passed to his sister Anne, who married Sir Thomas Cheney, K.G., of the Isle of Sheppey. She was succeeded by her son Sir Henry Cheney who was created Baron Cheney of Toddington in 1572. t his death without issue in 1587 the manor passed to Agnes daughter of Katherine wife of William, first Lord Howard of Effingham, another sister of John Broughton. Agnes was the wife of William Paulet, Lord St. John, afterwards third Marquess of Winchester, and they together in 1576 conveyed the manor to Richard Carter.
The manor and manor house called Colne Farm were settled in 1593 on the marriage of Thomas son of Richard Carter with Dorothy Nodes, and again in 1616 on the marriage of Richard son of Thomas Carter with Frances Henson. Thomas Carter died in 1625, his wife Dorothy surviving him, and his son Richard being then aged thirty. The manor was conveyed by Richard Carter and Mary his wife in 1688 to John Moore and Richard Leach, probably for a settlement.
In 1710 Richard and Mary Carter sold the manor to William Baron, who was dealing with it in 1728 and 1732.